Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Choosing a Shadows

There are many topics out there about making or picking a BOOK of shadows, something to write in or keep a physical copy of. However in this post I wish to talk about the different ways available to keep a shadows and then talk about the method I use.

Book of Shadows - Oh we all know about this one. You can make a BOS from a binder, or use a notebook, journal or one of the many blank books with fancy decorations for sell. Some type up their BOS pages and then print them out, while others stick to the pencil written method. The choice... is yours.

Stick of Shadows - This one I like to initial as SS. It's a lot like a book of shadows, except it's all electronic and kept on a USB data stick. There are many different styles and sizes available for these sticks, so you have just as much range to chose from as you do with a BOS. What I like about using a SS is that I can sort everything into folders, go in and edit my information easily as it's needed. I can insert pictures and images into the document and make a file for A list of all the herbs, or make a file for each individual herb. Also with it being so small and common it easily blends in, and can be easier to hide than a book!

Sketch Pad - This one I initial SPOS. The idea behind this is each day before bed, you sketch something to represent what happened that day or a replication of something you saw (like a sprite, or flower or something you want to capture). Around the image the person writes notes to help them remember what happened.

My Method - I use.... all of the above! I always have on me a journal to write in, and something I can doodle in just in case I am inspired while away from the house. If I have a vision, then I write about it in the journal filling as many pages as necessary, and if I envision or see something intriguing I do my best to draw it on paper.
When I am able to, I put it on my SS exactly as I wrote it. Anything additional I want to add I put it as a P.S. and number each additional (P.S.1, P.S.2, etc.). If I drew the image, then if possible I scan it onto the computer to put it in my stick, if not then I just keep up with it, making notes about what it was I saw and describing how it looked as well.My BOS is a Binder, sorted by Spells, Rituals, and Recipes. Those I keep on my SS and print out a copy to put in my BOS which I bought protector sheets for at Staples.

Find the method that works best for you, it may take years or it could be instantly obvious. If none of the above seems good, then invent your own! Keeping a record is all that matters, HOW you keep that record is up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment