Saturday, May 4, 2013

Visual Quest Tips and Visual Exercise

For years I'd have troubles with visual quests. I'd start on them, the image would flicker out and I'd restart the quest, never getting further than the first little bit.

However, a month or so back I did my quest differently. Instead of restarting when the image would flicker, I'd summon back the last thing I saw and keep on trekking. Instead of going back to the beginning when I thought I was inserting stuff, I'd simply ignore it and wipe it out going backwards to just before I inserted it. Y'know what? It worked.

I hadn't done many visual quests before that because I wanted to be able to hold a mental image for long enough to complete a quest before I would embark on one. It never occurred to me to do it anyways and just keep at it, so I wanted to make this post in case someone else was experiencing the same thing I was.

It's okay if you can't hold an image, or if you're afraid you won't see anything that you didn't insert yourself. Most quests have a bit of a walking bit as the start, at first I didn't think much of them. However think of the traveling in the beginning as warm up exercises. Don't stop just because an image flickers out, bring it back and continue on, and if you think you might have influenced part of it rewind just a bit and try to avoid anticipating something.

If you'd like to do some visual exercises without going on a quest, try to imagine something. My exercises begin with a piece of paper, then I change the paper's color, then I draw shapes on the paper. Sometimes I have a white paper and focus on changing the shapes and giving them colors, sometimes I have a blue paper with a yellow heart, or green paper with a purple star... I find this exercise easier and more rewarding than memorizing an object then visualizing it, because these are things more familiar to us and we can be more imaginative with them. I've also used this exercise to try to remember how to make something by experimenting with the paper until I've remembered the correct way to make it. (So far, I've remembered how to make a paper boat and one of those paper fortune teller things... I've yet to remember how to make a paper cup.. I don't think I made that one enough to remember it.. Maybe next time I'll try to remember how to make that airplane I used to always make..)

No comments:

Post a Comment