Sunday, June 2, 2013

Magickal Names

We all pick a craft name at some point, or are given one. It might be near the beginning or after several years, but eventually we have a new name. Why did I want to talk about this one? Because Skimra Solskenn isn't my real name, it's my magick name!

It's a long drawn out story of how I got to this name, and I didn't get this name until years after I'd been practicing and down many roads. What the words mean is "Shimmer Sunshine" which makes me think of the sunlight dancing on a lake or other body of water. "Skimra" is my common magick name, but I have one that is more private in place of Skimra for when I am craft working. Is this necessary? No, I don't think so.

When choosing a name, it doesn't have to be in English (mine isn't), but it has to mean something special to you. It can be a phrase, an animal, but it should describe you in some way. Perhaps your a night owl, then "Midnight" might be a name for you, and if people have a hard time figuring you out "Midnight Mystery" could be workable. It doesn't have to be in english either you could put it in Danish "Midnat Mysterium" or spell it differently "Mydnite Mistery" or any other form that is pleasing to you. (That's just one example, and there are limitless possibilities!)

To make it more personalized, make a list of names you are called. No, not those teasing mean names that make you feel bad, I mean those names people you care about call you that make you feel good inside. Mark the ones that you are called most often, and the ones that ring out about you the most. Make a list of hobbies or things you really like about yourself (do you enjoy outdoors, books, acting, etc.) and see if you can come up with a word that describes that part of you, then change the language or spell it differently or however you want to make it more pleasing to you.

You could also take a name that describes what you aspire to be on the path, do you want to teach, create, inspire, inform? If you don't know, then don't worry you can always add another part to your name when you see where your path leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment