Friday, June 14, 2013

Making Tools

Okay, we can't make ALL the tools, and I"m sure there are several posts out there that goes into great detail of making tools. So this is more or less just a list of tools that you can make, not all are obvious as to how, so I'll try to explain those in short simple descriptions.

Do not go out and buy a bunch of tools, chances are you may not need or use the tool you buy. Also making a tool infuses that tool with your energy and brings about a feeling of accomplishment and pride. So if you can make it, then make it. Not everyone will be able to make all of these tools but I will put a * next to the ones that should be possible for all or most.

Before I begin my list, I would like to talk about harvesting wood for the tools you make with wood. I prefer to find my branches on the ground, and test to see if they are brittle (by seeing if they break easily), though others cut the branches off trees they like after asking permission from the tree. I live in an apartment so even if I have permission from the tree, the tree doesn't belong to me and I would most likely get into trouble for cutting on another's tree. Some places I have gotten branches/sticks from include; the ground in a public area, my dad's kindling pile, the ground at my cousin's place and from the ground in my neighbors' yard. In all cases I asked if I could have them before I took them, even if it meant waiting a day or two. None of them minded, (obviously) but it's common courtesy to ask in case they want to keep them or have plans for them!

Make:
*Wand - Some wands will turn out prettier than others, but take your time and be careful. Various videos on making these, as well as pages, sites, and topics.
Besom - Hay fastened to a stick with branches on the end, feathers fastened to similar stick, a simple stick with lots of twigs at the end.
*Candle Scribe - A twig brought to a sharp point
Incense - Soak those sticks you get at firework stands in essential oils.
Candles - Thousands of topics, videos, pages, sites and blogs about this.
*Herbs - Plant the seeds, harvest the leaves, thousands of information about drying. (Food dehydrator)
*Tarot Cards - draw pictures as close as possible (any deck) on either blank cards, or note cards.
Essential Oils - Lots of information out there, probably cheaper to buy though from what I heard.
*Runes - Slice a thick stick and carve/mark the runes onto one size of the slices. Jigsaw is best, be careful if using handsaw.
Sewing - anything that needs sewing, garments, satchels, bags, alter cloth, the list goes on.
*Book of Shadows - already talked about this, and there are many more sources available.
*Book of Mirrors - Same as above.
*Witch Bag - Already discussed this.

If you cannot make a tool, try to find one at like a flea-market or yard-sale. You might be able to buy it cheaper there. If you are unable to find it, and actually need it, then buy it but only as a last resort and do shop around for one that is affordable. However, supporting a local shop also supports the local pagan community. If they don't have one that you can afford, ask them about ordering one for you and see if you can look through their catalog with them to pick one out you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment