Monday, June 3, 2013

Rede Intro

Okay, so while thinking about what to blog about next, I thought about the well known Wiccan Rede. Everyone has a copy, everyone has ready, but has anyone really thought about it? Tried to understand or know what it meant in each line? So I decided over the next several posts to share my interpretation of the version I have a copy of. I've read many versions and though the lines are different in some areas, the general advice is the same.

In this post I want to talk about the Rede. I don't know where my version came from, as it always said "Author: Uknown". I'm not even going to claim to know where it began, perhaps it began with the Father of Wicca, or perhaps it came from the first group that he was initiated in where he began to learn. Perhaps it came several years after him I don't know, but to me it doesn't matter WHERE it came from.

The Rede is a poem of superstitions and advice that is shared all through the religion. It's not a set rule, though many follow it like a law. The final words in the Rede, which I will get to in a much later post (or you can skip ahead of me and read it), is the only part of the rede that I feel was meant to be a rule.

So, get out your copies of the Rede and follow along as I do my best to explain the parts as I understand them. You may or may not agree with all I say, and you may have seen parts of it said by others. I don't know how many parts this series will contain, but it'll be a fun ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment